Sunday, April 06, 2014
Deer and Doe Anemone Skirt
I bought this pattern as soon as it was released, not entirely sure it would suit me, but hopeful. I've gained a lot of weight over the past year and I'm once again in that weird place of trying to figure out what suits my current shape. I hoped the high waist would flatter my curvy shape, and the peplum would balance my hips with my bust, and I think it does?
I used a thrifted tablecloth for this skirt, it cost £3.50 from a local charity shop. I didn't want to cut into good fabric for a first try, when I wasn't sure of whether it would even suit me, and wasn't sure of the fit.
I had to do some creative cutting out to fit the print onto the pattern pieces, it was a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm fairly pleased with the symmetry at the front and the back, I just wish I'd been able to match at the side seams, and realised after I'd sewn it together that the two back side panels would have been better if I'd flipped the pattern piece. I'm sure very few people will notice, but still, it would've been nice.
As for fit, I cut out the second to largest size, thinking the waist would be a tiny bit tight and the hips a tiny bit big, but when fitting found I was just 1 cm out on both, so took 5mm off each of the side back seams when joining to the back. This morning the waist is a little loose, but my waist grows during the day sadly.
I also added the wrong size zip, I just reached for a regular skirt size zip, thankfully though I can wriggle it easily over my hips so it's not a problem.
I really love this pattern, and plan to make another very soon.