Pattern Testing Tights5:58 pm
I can honestly say I've never really had an urge to make tights, so when Marilla Walker asked me to test her new tights pattern I was not really convinced. Having seen the ones she had made though, I was intrigued, and agreed to the testing.
The pattern arrived in my inbox, and having carefully selected my size, I printed off the appropriate pages. There are two styles of tights included in the pattern, a one piece, and a two piece with heel turn, plus a leggings option. Each come in three leg lengths, my legs were unsurprisingly short!
So far I have only made the one piece variation, and am currently waiting on a fabric delivery so that I can try the two piece, with heel turn and the leggings option.
I rummaged through my fabric stash for suitable fabrics with mixed results, and browsed the cheap rolls section of Manchester Abakhan, where I found this sage green 100% polyester knit lace/mesh fabric. It has a really good amount of stretch in both directions so was ideal for this pattern which requires fabric with a 50% stretch.
The tights stitched up quickly and easily on my sewing machine. I am still overlocker less after my Brother 1034 died, but that wasn't a problem. The stretch stitch on my sewing machine worked perfectly.
The instructions with the pattern are clear, although I admit to rarely looking at them, other than to check details like the seam allowance ( 5mm ).
I wore my completed tights all of New Years Eve (day), and they were so comfortable. I really like the high waist. I hate tights that skimp on the waist and inevitably roll down. I did wear them over a pair of black opaque tights simply because I thought the sage colour looked better with a dark background rather than my lily white legs, plus it was jolly cold!
You can see in the above photos though how the tights looked without the black opaques underneath.
I'm now anxiously waiting for more fabric to arrive to make more tights, and will report back on the other styles included in the pattern as soon as I can.
I did try and stitch up a couple of extra pairs with fabric from my stash that I knew was risky as the stretch was only about 35%, and they didn't work at all sadly. The pattern clearly states that a stretch of 50% is required in both directions though, so I wasn't surprised or dissapointed.
Stats: I made the short length one piece tights in a size 6 with no alterations. I used 100% polyester knit lace/mesh with a good amount of stretch in both directions (at least 50%) .The fit is excellent.